ADSM-L

Re: Backup clients not going away when their session should end!

2004-09-24 15:41:47
Subject: Re: Backup clients not going away when their session should end!
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 15:43:14 -0400
In my situation, there is a known problem.  I found the IBM doc yesterday
but I wasn't sure it is the cause of the never-ending sessions.

Spurious entries for ntfrs are in dsmerror.log for successful
backup/restore

Problem
The following entries are recorded in the dsmerror.log, but the
backup/restore operation finish successfully:

processSysvol(): NtFrsApiGetBackupRestoreSets(): RC = 2
processSysvol(): NtFrsApiDestroyBackupRestore(): RC = 0

This is a sporadic problem on the node.

Cause
The problem was found in the TSM Client code and fixed in the version
5.2.2.0

Solution
Upgrade the TSM Client to the latest level.

Workaround: ignore the message.

Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
09/24/2004 03:34 PM
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject

On Sep 24, 2004, at 3:09 PM, Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU wrote:

> I  am looking forward to an answer since I too have been experiencing
> this
> problem, recently.
>
> My environment is different:  z/OS TSM 5.1.8  with the client at
> 5.2.0.1
> (which we plan to upgrade to 5.2.3.2, some time soon) on 2K3.
>
> This node used to work just fine and suddenly (about a month now) this
> started happening.
>
> I am beginning to wonder if it is a M$ patch issue ?

Hmmm... Perhaps a related file system corruption or disk defect which
results in the moral equivalent of a loop.  I advocate periodic file
system/disk scans and fixits with a good commercial utility on PC type
systems in general.

   Richard Sims