ADSM-L

Re: Empty Tapes are NOT Empty?

2004-09-24 11:55:12
Subject: Re: Empty Tapes are NOT Empty?
From: "T. Lists" <tracylists AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 08:56:34 -0700
Funny that you should bring this up ... I had two
tapes this week that had this problem.

Pct relcaim was at 99.9%, however a q content showed
that there was nothing on the tape.   A move data said
there was nothing on the tape, but when I tried to
delete the volume, it told me there WAS something on
the tape.

Here's what I did
1.  These were offsite tapes, so I returned them from
offisite.

2.  Checked into the library, set access to read-only.

3.  Ran audit volume with fix=yes.  Gave me:
ANR2334W Missing or incorrect information detected by
AUDIT VOLUME for volume <volid> - information will be
created or corrected.

4.  Later, the regularly scheduled reclamation for
that storage pool produced:
ANR0195W Attempting to remove extraneous database
entries for volume <volid>
ANR0196I Removal of extraneous database entries for
volume <volid> was successful.

Tapes have gone to a "pending" state, so I'm hopeful
they will be deleted from the storage pool after the
reuse delay period.

Hope this helps.
T.