ADSM-L

Re: 3584, iseries and tsm

2004-09-23 09:45:43
Subject: Re: 3584, iseries and tsm
From: Daniel Sparrman <Daniel.Sparrman AT EXIST DOT SE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 15:46:36 +0200

Hi

1. Yes, you can share a 3584-L32 library between one or more iSeries servers and a pSeries server, but it will require partitioning.

2. Yes, BRMS is a good way of going if you want to use dynamic sharing between the drives. This however will require the TSM api, so that BRMS server acts as a TSM client. This is a good way to go if you dont have high performance expectations, as the BRMS solution has some mean performance issues.

We have a customer that was choosing between running BRMS+TSM api or partitioning the library. They went with the partitioning scenario, as this gave alot better performance and could offer the advantages of central, consolidated tape storage.

The down-side is that you dont manage all tape activity through the TSM server. However, all tape and job activity isnt managed through TSM despite using BRMS with TSM. You still have to monitor the individual iSeries servers.

Best Regards

Daniel Sparrman
-----------------------------------
Daniel Sparrman
Exist i Stockholm AB
Propellervägen 6B
183 62 TÄBY
Växel: 08 - 754 98 00
Mobil: 070 - 399 27 51

Curtis Stewart <Curtis.Stewart AT LAWSON DOT COM>

2004-09-23 15:36
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc
Subject
Re: 3584, iseries and tsm

We back up our AS400 with BRMS and TSM. Check this out. It works fine for us.

http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/iseries/service/brms/adsmfaq.htm

Good Luck.

Curtis

Otto Schakenbos <otto.schakenbos AT TELEFLEX DOT COM>

09/23/2004 08:32 AM
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc
Subject
3584, iseries and tsm

Is it possible to share a 3584 Library (FC-LTO2) between a TSM
server(5.1.9.3) on AIX433 and a AS400. Do you need to do
partitioning(and loose an entire drive to the AS400) or can you just
dynamicly share a drive between the as400 and tsm?
Can the AS400 use the drive as if it was locally attached so it can use
its own backup mechanism?
How do you backup your as400?

regards

Otto Schakenbos