ADSM-L

SQL LiteSpeed with TDP for SQL to backup TSM

2004-09-20 16:54:32
Subject: SQL LiteSpeed with TDP for SQL to backup TSM
From: TSM_User <tsm_user AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 13:55:37 -0700
Our DBA's are currently testing a product called SQL LiteSpeed.  When it was
installed the TSM backup archive command line and GUI stopped working.  When
you would launch either they would hang and never start.  I thought IP or port
issue but the TSM admin command line which was set to use the same port (4081)
had no problems.  They removed the software and everything worked again. This
problem also effected the TDP for SQL, I believe because it effected the TSM
client api.

Has anyone else used SQL LiteSpeed before?  If so any pro's con's?

If you have used SQL LiteSpeed did you notice any problems with TSM after it
was loaded?

For those who don't know but care to SQL LiteSpeed can be used to backup SQL as
well and is touted for having really good compression. It compressed a 2.5 TB
SQL database down to 356 GB.  They are thinking of using this and the TSM
client instead of the TDP.  We ran a TDP LanFree test today with 10 stripes and
it backed up 2.5 TB's in 5.1 hours (~477 GB/hr).  We believe our bottleneck was
the disk we were reading from.  We have seen that we can push a single tape
drive to 100 GB/hr.  So using SQL Lite would reduce the backup from 5.1 hours
to around 3.5 hours.