ADSM-L

Re: each dbbackup to new tape?

2004-09-16 15:21:09
Subject: Re: each dbbackup to new tape?
From: "Johnson, Milton" <milton.johnson AT CITIGROUP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 15:20:22 -0400
 An interesting paper on an obviously VERY large TSM system, involving
upwards to 40 TSM servers.  Your problem was that you did not want to
send 40 tapes offsite everyday with each tape containing a single backup
of a TSM server DB.  So your elegant solution was to create a TSM server
instance, TSMDBB, and have the 40 TSM servers backup to TSMDBB.  This
means that you only had to dedicate a single tape to a single TSM server
DB backup, specifically  when you were backing up the TSM DB on TSMDBB.
(Actually you said you would back up TSMDBB to a disk file and then copy
that file to several locations, but the principle is the same.)  This is
an elegant way to reduce the number of daily TSM DB backup tapes from 40
to 1, however Lucian is already at the point of only having to send off
a single TSM DB backup tape per day.

H. Milton Johnson