ADSM-L

Re: TDP vs. FlashCopy thoughts

2004-09-14 19:05:23
Subject: Re: TDP vs. FlashCopy thoughts
From: Steve Harris <Steve_Harris AT HEALTH.QLD.GOV DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 09:05:21 +1000
Mike

I've got few unusual DBMSs to deal with that have no TDP.  (Sybase, Reality,
Cache)

Sometimes we can back up to disk and then to TSM (Sybase, MSSQL and oracle at
the moment as we've only just got the TDP licences)

For Reality, I've cranked up the adsmpipe utilty

But for Cache, its backup facility  wants real tape hardware and resists being
sent to a pipe.  In this case we have to create two databases, primary and
shadow and for backup, quiesce the shadow, back up the underlying files and
then play forward the logs.

As the DB gets large, this may need to be done with a Flashcopy and hence TDP
for hardware.

HTH

Steve.

>>> mikee AT MIKEE.ATH DOT CX 15/09/2004 1:41:48 >>>
Given that TSM has TDP for many databases and that TDP can do
incremental backups at the record level. What are the thoughts
for using TDB vs. using FlashCopy on an ESS/Shark? The FlashCopy
must backup the entire database each time, unless the backup
database could be mounted to a secondary server that could then
start TDP on the backup copy...?

Mike

This email, including any attachments sent with it, is confidential and for the
sole use of the intended recipient(s).  This confidentiality is not waived or
lost, if you receive it and you are not the intended recipient(s), or if it is
transmitted/received in error.

Any unauthorised use, alteration, disclosure, distribution or review of this
email is prohibited.  It may be subject to a statutory duty of confidentiality
if it relates to health service matters.

If you are not the intended recipient(s), or if you have received this email in
error, you are asked to immediately notify the sender by telephone or by return
email.  You should also delete this email and destroy any hard copies produced.