ADSM-L

Re: admin id

2004-09-09 16:47:38
Subject: Re: admin id
From: Nathan Reiss <Reiss_Nathan AT CAT DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 15:47:43 -0500
In a nut shell: you don't.

The only reason you might want one is so that you can hand them out to each
person (assuming it is separate people) who need to manage the data for
each of the nodes.  Then they can find out some things about the node...
things like amount of data backed up, file systems, etc.   All pretty much
the same stuff they can get as logging in as the nodename though.    Just
another way of doing the same thing really.

I've never really found a good purpose for having lots of them. I've found
that it just makes TSM account management a nightmare.

So, the scripts I've written and use for registering the nodes deletes the
admin account the "register node" likes to create.

David N. Reiss
Disaster Recovery/UNIX Systems Engineer
CAT Storage Management
(309)/494-3749

             Joni Moyer
             <joni.moyer@HIGHM
             ARK.COM>
             Sent by: "ADSM:                                            To
             Dist Stor                                                  To
             Manager"                  ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
             <[email protected]                                          cc
             .EDU>

             09/09/2004 02:07
             PM
                                                                   Subject
                                       admin id
             Please respond to
             "ADSM: Dist Stor
                 Manager"
             <[email protected]
                   .EDU>

Caterpillar: Confidential Green                 Retain Until: 10/09/2004
                                                Retention Category:  G90 -
                                                General
                                                Matters/Administration

Hello all!

This may be a trivial question, but I was wondering why I would need an
admin id registered for each node that I register on TSM?  Thanks in
advance!

Joni Moyer
Highmark
Storage Systems