ADSM-L

Re: HELP, major mess with tapes!

2004-09-08 13:50:43
Subject: Re: HELP, major mess with tapes!
From: Sung Y Lee <sunglee AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 13:50:06 -0400

Suggestion

In general when reclamation is turned on for an offsite copy pool, it
gathers the necessary data from the onsite pool.  Provided that you have
all the data on onsite the reclamation for offsite should finish, but
sometimes this is not the case if you have unavailable or destroyed tapes
on onsite.

My suggestion is to examine to see if there are any tapes on onsite with
Unavailable/Destroyed status and if so find out why.  If media is no good
for whatever reason then  you can try restore the volume from offsite
tapes(may need to be brought back from vault)  restore volume # preview=yes
can tell you if restore of the volume is possible.

Restore of onsite volume requires offsite tapes, but offsite tapes
reclamation require onsites tapes(unless you bring back offsite tapes to
the library ).

Move data works, because moving data is simply move from one location to
another location.  Reclamation for offsite normally takes data from onsite
tapes and recreate offsite data so that old offsite tapes can come back to
the library to be reused.

Sung Y. Lee

             Joni Moyer
             <joni.moyer@HIGHM
             ARK.COM>                                                   To
             Sent by: "ADSM:           ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
             Dist Stor                                                  cc
             Manager"
             <[email protected]                                     Subject
             .EDU>                     HELP, major mess with tapes!

             09/08/2004 12:22
             PM

             Please respond to
             "ADSM: Dist Stor
                 Manager"

Hello all!

I was running tape reclamation for an offsite copy pool and I started to
receive pages upon pages of  messages that look like this:

ANR1173E Space reclamation for offsite volume(s) cannot copy file in
storage
\hmpg1015\e$, fsId
NE TECHNICAL
MMARY_04060252767-
pool TAPEPOOLNT3590: Node HMPG1015, Type Backup, File space \
3, File name \FSCORPPUB2\HIGHBAR\CLAIMS\BILL ENGINE\BILL ENGI
DELIVERABLES\INVOICE_SUMMARY_RTF_FILES\ 0140471001_INVOICE_SU
9.RTF.

Then I see the following message:

09/07/2004 02:00:35   ANR1093W Space reclamation terminated for volume
478789 -
                       transaction aborted.

And then I see multiple messages like this:

ANR1163W Offsite volume 482914 still contains files which could not be
moved.  I am receiving tons of messages with the ANR1173E and ANR1163W, but
I am not quite sure which volume is causing the issue?  I mean if it's the
reclamation volume, then it is actually pulling the data from the onsite
copy and recreating it to be sent back offsite.  I am doing a move data on
the offsite volume 478789 from which the space reclamation terminated, but
I still don't understand why a move data would work and a reclamation would
not?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!!!!

********************************
Joni Moyer
Highmark
Storage Systems