ADSM-L

Re: Storport or SCSIport drivers in W2K3?

2004-09-30 18:37:19
Subject: Re: Storport or SCSIport drivers in W2K3?
From: TSM_User <tsm_user AT YAHOO DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 15:37:20 -0700
Actually there is 3 types of drivers, SCSCI Port Miniport, Storport, and FC
Port .  We have always used the FC Port drivers.  I blieve the difference is
that with FC Port you can set up persistant binding.  At least that is what the
description by the LP10000 drivers show (see below):

So far I believe Storport has really been taken advantage of in the disk world
although it is supposed to work with tape.
To see an MS demo on the Storeport go to
http://www.microsoft.com/seminar/shared/asp/view.asp?url=/seminar/en/20020624WinHecD8a/manifest.xml

SCSIport Miniport Driver - Provides SCSI functionality over Fibre Channel
arbitrated loop, point-to-point and fabric topologies.

32-bit and 64-bit Storport Miniport Drivers - Provides SCSI/FCP functionality
over Fibre Channel arbitrated loop, point-to-point and fabric topologies.

32-bit and 64-bit FC Port Drivers - Provides SCSI-only or concurrent SCSI and
IP functionality within a single HBA or several HBAs. Designed for specialized
applications where host based LUN mapping and persistent binding of SCSI device
IDs are required.

Neil Schofield <neil.schofield AT YORKSHIREWATER.CO DOT UK> wrote:
Hi there

I've got to set up a Windows 2003 TSM server to access some SAN-based tape
drives. When installing the drivers for the (Emulex) HBAs I have a choice
between two different driver models - the Storport drivers and the SCSIport
drivers. I've always used SCSIport drivers on Windows 2000, but the
Storport drivers for Windows 2003 are supposed to offer better performance.

Anybody got any experience with Storport drivers, especially with TSM, who
would like to share their opinions?

Regards
Neil Schofield
Yorkshire Water Services Ltd.

Take a tour of a virtual waste water treatment works at
http://www.wastewatertour.com
The information in this e-mail is confidential and may also be legally
privileged. The contents are intended for recipient only and are subject
to the legal notice available at http://www.keldagroup.com/email.htm
Yorkshire Water Services Limited
Registered Office Western House Halifax Road Bradford BD6 2SZ
Registered in England and Wales No 2366682