ADSM-L

Re: direct attached disk (DAS) at a tape library?

2004-09-24 19:25:02
Subject: Re: direct attached disk (DAS) at a tape library?
From: "Coats, Jack" <Jack.Coats AT BANKSTERLING DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 18:25:46 -0500
Yep, you can do it.

Overland also sells a virtual tape library, but I don't know about their
prices, and so do other vendors.  It is basically a bunch of disk, but looks
like tapes.

Why is virtual tape so expensive?  Well, IMHO ;) if folks will buy it at
that price, then they will sell it!!!  TSM doesn't have to have it, but
there may be some reasons why it is good.  I am sure someone can straighten
me out on it!

But you can set up a JBOD of any size with a file system on it.  You can use
it as a disk pool, or, if you are having some tapes still, you might take
some of it and define some serial storage on disk.  It will process just
like tapes, just a lot faster.  Keeping your disk and on-site 'tape' pool on
disk devices is just fine, if you like its reliability!

To get stuff off site, I like keeping tapes.  $/gig, tapes are pretty cheap
and pretty reliable.

If you have the tape bandwidth, I would like an on-site copypool and an
offsite copypool on tape.  But that may just be my belt and suspenders
conservatism.

... Enjoy, JC