ADSM-L

Re: AIX Paging Space Utilization

2004-09-21 22:11:27
Subject: Re: AIX Paging Space Utilization
From: Tab Trepagnier <Tab.Trepagnier AT LAITRAM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 21:11:38 -0500
Curtis,

I'm guessing that the restriction on Maxclient might do the trick.

Shortly after updating our TSM and Oracle servers to AIX 5.2, I started
using JFS2 for some of the file systems.  In a very short time, I saw page
file usage in the 60-70% range after YEARS of running less than 10%.  I
eventually tracked it down to the MaxClient% which sets the percentage of
memory used for file pages and caching of JFS2.  I had been setting
MaxPerm% but that only applies to JFS(1).

After restricting that parameter to about 30%, pagefile usage dropped to
its normal range of about 5%.  It is currently 4.6% as I write this.

Tab Trepagnier
TSM Administrator
Laitram, L.L.C.

Curtis Stewart <Curtis.Stewart AT LAWSON DOT COM>
09/20/2004 03:50 PM