ADSM-L

Export Node Retention question

2004-09-02 12:17:06
Subject: Export Node Retention question
From: Mark Bertrand <Mark.Bertrand AT USUNWIRED DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 11:13:33 -0500
I have looked in the manual and through Mark's monthly FAQ but can not find
this specific information.

I am looking into the Export node to tape function to retain active and
inactive backup files since backupsets only grab active files. Am I correct
that a file deleted from the client is considered inactive by the server.
And, although it can be restored at the client by selecting inactive files,
it will not be picked up by a backupset?

I am not concerned with retaining the client settings, only the data.

How long can I keep an Export Node to tape for? Where is this set at, gen
backupset has a retention setting.

How does this differ from a backupset? I know one difference is that
backupset can be retained for a specified period.

Also, what controls the exported node data for expirations and retention
files?

Can I use it to restore individual files, all the info that I have read only
shows a complete import option.

Can it be used for databases, I know backupsets cannot.

Server: W2K TSM 5.1.6.3

Client: W2K TSM 5.1.5.15 TDP 2.2.1

Thanks,
Mark Bertrand