ADSM-L

Re: NetWare NDS backup

2004-09-02 10:17:11
Subject: Re: NetWare NDS backup
From: JOEL LOVELIEN <JLOVELIEN AT ALTRU DOT ORG>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 09:15:45 -0500
This is exactly what we do as well.  In my experience, it'd take a pretty
catastrophic failure to need these backups.  I've had servers fail in the past
where the replica and server can be rebuilt using file backups and the other
replicas of the partitions.  While I still wouldn't go without backing up NDS,
it's going to be a rare case that you need these, I believe, moreso than a
regular file backup.

>>> Troy.Frank AT UWMF.WISC DOT EDU 9/2/2004 8:59:55 AM >>>
In our case, we've got 3 servers that hold replicas of the root
partition.  Then there's about 20 remote sites each holding a master
replica of their particular OU partition.  Since NDS backups in TSM are
always a full backup anyway, it only makes sense to do NDS backups on
one node that holds a replica of root.
Unless anyone's got ideas I haven't thought of, anything more would
just be a waste of time.

>>> Steve_Harris AT HEALTH.QLD.GOV DOT AU 9/1/2004 5:51:25 PM >>>
While we are on the topic,

What is the best strategy for backing up NDS?

We have district sites with tape libraries and remote sites with
Netware clients that will either backup directly to the district TSM
server, or to a local tsm server with disk only and the copypool is on
the district server.

What's the best NDS strategy for a remote site? Maybe NDS backup of the
remote site weekly and let replication catch it up if a restore is
necessary?

I'm not really a Netware guy so any real-life stuff is appreciated.

Steve

Steve Harris
AIX and TSM Admin
Queensland Health
Brisbane, Australia

>>> Jbaechi AT CSCC DOT EDU 02/09/2004 4:28:02 >>>
TSMers,

TSM server 5.2.2 on AIX 5.2.2
TSM cliient NetWare 6.5

We were setting up a few new NetWare NDS replica servers (xSeries 345)
and tried NDS incremental backup. I noticed that;

1. 'dsmc i NDS:' will backup all the objects again and again as if
there is no true incremental backup of it. Documentation says about
'domain' option for ENTIRE NDS bacckup. So, do I have no choice, but
backing up the entire objects every night?
2. NDS backup was taking too long. Changed dsm.opt parameters; tcpw
64;
txnb=25600 and it helped a little bit. Any other suggestion on tunning
parameter for NetWare client backup?

Thanks a lot for your help!!

Gus

This email, including any attachments sent with it, is confidential and
for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). This confidentiality is
not waived or lost, if you receive it and you are not the intended
recipient(s), or if it is transmitted/received in error.

Any unauthorised use, alteration, disclosure, distribution or review of
this email is prohibited. It may be subject to a statutory duty of
confidentiality if it relates to health service matters.

If you are not the intended recipient(s), or if you have received this
email in error, you are asked to immediately notify the sender by
telephone or by return email. You should also delete this email and
destroy any hard copies produced.

Confidentiality Notice follows:

The information in this message (and the documents attached to it, if any)
is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for
the addressee. Access to this message by anyone else is unauthorized. If
you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution
or any action taken, or omitted to be taken in reliance on it is
prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this message in
error, please delete all electronic copies of this message (and the
documents attached to it, if any), destroy any hard copies you may have
created and notify me immediately by replying to this email. Thank you.