ADSM-L

Re: Include/Exclude Question

2004-09-01 15:04:14
Subject: Re: Include/Exclude Question
From: "Davidson, Becky" <Becky.Davidson AT SLBG DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 13:49:16 -0500
My finding is that if you have several stanzas
Server A

Server B

And you do a dsmc it will automatically connect to server B and not server
A.  That is important to us because if we have an oracle database connecting
with one node name and the client files being backed up as a different node
name we use the dsmc -se=servera if we want to use servera or vice versa.
If we just typed dsmc we would get serverb.  We had some issues with some
backup software that wouldn't let us specify a node name or a server name so
we had to make it the bottom most stanza so it would connect with the node
name that we preferred and then just used the -se option for everything
else.

Becky

From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On Behalf Of
Richard Sims

On Sep 1, 2004, at 2:08 PM, Mike wrote:

> On Wed, 01 Sep 2004, Jones, Kelli wrote:
>
>> This may be a strange question, but...we just had a TSM consultant
>> here and he said that the dsm.opt file is read from bottom to top. Is
>> this correct?  Does placement of the statements matter either way?
>
> that's what I've read in the manuals

I've been around the product for years, and have never seen any indication
that the client option file(s) is read from the bottom to the top. In terms
of data processing, that doesn't even make sense: sequential files are
physically read from the beginning to the end.

 From what I perceive, the client software compiles the options definitions
as it reads the file from beginning to end. It then processes them as
needed. In the case of Include-Exclude statements, they are subsequently
processed from last to first.

Placement of statements matters as defined in the manuals, such as
requirements that some statements appear within server stanzas.

     Richard Sims