ADSM-L

Re: Storage Pool Hierarchy

2004-08-31 11:08:59
Subject: Re: Storage Pool Hierarchy
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 10:10:21 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On
Behalf Of Joni Moyer
>I know that this is a common sense question concerning storage
>pools, but I was just hoping that there is some type of
>logical answer.  In the beginning I was going to create 5
>domains by platform and have a disk pool, onsite tape pool and
>offsite copy pool for each.  Now I am beginning to wonder if I
>don't want to get even more granular than that.  Due to the
>fact that we cannot afford to have our copy pools collocated,
>but we do need the data stored in a less fragmented format.
[snip]

Think about this:

How often in the last year have you used a tape volume from your copy
pool, other than to possibly run one or two RESTORE VOLUME commands on
bad primary pool tapes? Is your need to be that granular really
practical?

If you're still nervous about non-collocated copy pools, how about
running a MOVE NODEDATA on the copy pool copies of files on your 3-5
most critical servers?

Also keep in mind that group collocation will (hopefully) be in TSM 5.3,
which is scheduled to GA in December.

Berbee Information Networks
Office 262.521.5627