ADSM-L

Re: Copy pool definition vs backup stgpool scheduled for sequential and Local vs server - server

2004-08-24 10:11:08
Subject: Re: Copy pool definition vs backup stgpool scheduled for sequential and Local vs server - server
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 09:11:49 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On
Behalf Of Ochs, Duane
>Looking for some advice on sequential pool copies for long
>term archiving. We have the capacity and the drives to define
>a copy pool for the sequential pool or create a backup stgpool
>schedule.

Don't you mean an "additional" copy pool?

>I don't have enough working experience with either to
>determine what would fit better for me. Also, we have enough
>bandwidth to perform this using server to server
>communication. Anybody have any experience with them ?

If you want to do long-term archiving, use an primary archive sequential
pool rather than a copy sequential pool for backups. You can set up
multiple long-term retention rules, and your administration will be a
lot less headache-y.

[If you're archiving more for political/legal reasons than for retrieval
purposes, consider backupsets. They don't require an additional pull of
data from client, and you can set retention rules for each backupset on
the fly (rather than have to create a management class for each
retention rule). However, the finest granularity you can perform with
backupsets is at the filesystem level.]

Berbee Information Networks
Office 262.521.5627