ADSM-L

Re: Passwords for client restores

2004-08-20 12:20:27
Subject: Re: Passwords for client restores
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 12:20:44 -0400
Ditto.

And you betcha, your auditors are gonna scream!

Set PASSWORDACCESS GENERATE on the client, and PASSWORD EXPIRATION LIMIT to
n days on the server (you can set 1 default, and override on an individual
client basis if needed).  Our limit is set to 90 per auditors.

You must supply the password to the client the FIRST TIME the client is
started.  It gets encrypted and saved on the client end.  (In the registry
for Windows, into a root-only dir on *IX).  Whenever the TSM code is started
on the client machine, it gets the pwd from the registry, no one is prompted
for the password.  Every n days, the password expires, the server GENERATES
a new password and sends it down to the client, gets encrypted into the
registry, etc.  So NOBODY needs to know the pwd.

To do restores to another machine, or via the web gui, as David says, you
can use your admin id and password.