ADSM-L

Re: Restoring an SQL database

2004-08-19 02:10:11
Subject: Re: Restoring an SQL database
From: "Leonard, Christopher" <christopher-leonard AT UIOWA DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 01:10:11 -0500
Hi Moses,

The way I do this is as follows.  First of all, we use PasswordAccess=Prompt
in our dsm.opt.  If it's possible to do this using Generate, I'd appreciate
somebody chiming in, because I could not figure that out.

Having said that, assume that I want to restore a backup made from MSSQLA
onto MSSQLB.  Suppose also that the TDPSQL client is installed on both
MSSQLA and MSSQLB.  In that case, I get a command prompt on SQLServerB and
run commands such as the following:

To query the tsm catalog for information about database backups made on
MSSQLA, run this on MSSQLB (all one line, of course - I'm just splitting
lines here for legibility):

tdpsqlc query tsm <dbname>
    /TSMNode="<MSSQLA_nodename>"
    /TSMPassword="<MSSQLA_Password>"
    /FromSQLServer="<MSSQLA>"

To run the command, replace the tokens in angle brackets with the
appropriate values for your environment (but do not include the angle
brackets themselves).

To restore from SQLServerA to SQLServerB, run this on SQLServerB (again, all
on one line):

tdpsqlc restore <dbname>
    /TSMNode="<MSSQLA_nodename>"
    /TSMPassword="<MSSQLA_Password>"
    /FromSQLServer="<MSSQLA>"

An alternative approach would be to use copies of each server's config
files, and then use the appropriate parameters to select the correct config
file for use each time you run tdpsqlc.  In the future, we might do that,
but right now our configurations are similar enough across servers that we
can get by with just specifying the paramters that we need to override from
our otherwise-identical config files.  Make sense?

You may need to use other options also (we frequently need to use /RELOCATE
and /TO when restoring, for example) but this should be enough to get you
started.

Good luck,
Chris