ADSM-L

First questions on 3584

2004-08-10 21:38:08
Subject: First questions on 3584
From: Fred Johanson <fred AT MIDWAY.UCHICAGO DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 20:37:53 -0500
Last week, my new 3584 was installed, which is to be the dedicated library for
a closed TSM system running on a P615 with the latest version of AIX, Atape,
and TSM 5.2.2.5.  As of Friday afternoon, AIX could mount a tape, via
tapeutil.  But as of 5 this afternoon, TSM will not talk to the library.  The
documentation is sketchy, to be generous, so I look for aid.

My first two questions are that the OS sees, via lsdev -Cc tape, a one-to-one
relationship between /dev/rmtx and /dev/scmx.  Does this mean that i define one
library, or six?  If one, which scmx to use?  Or is there a problem in the way
the library is configured?  Whether or not we have the configuration right, to
keep the security guys happy, we've installed TSM to run under its own ID
instead of root.  Is there some problem with this, like the TSM user id not
having access to the drives?

Having grown considerably greyer today, I knew there was a reason I wanted
another 3494.

Fred Johanson