ADSM-L

Re: dsmadmc using non-root id access

2004-08-08 23:38:48
Subject: Re: dsmadmc using non-root id access
From: Dan Foster <dsf AT GLOBALCROSSING DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 03:38:35 +0000
Hot Diggety! Ameerul Mazli was rumored to have written:

> Has anyone got any idea whether it is possible to execute dsmadmc with
> non-root id?

Sure, no problem.

You only need root privileges to start TSM and possibly for a few things
like creating/defining db/log volumes? (May not even need root for these
if the filesystem has appropriate permissions?)

It is possible to set up sudo so that an unprivileged TSM user account
can only start the TSM server with sudo-granted root privileges, and you
get the benefits of logging, too.

> Can we use a e.g.tsmadm UNIX id and runs dsmadmc? Will there be any
> 'side effects'?

No side effects that I've seen.

That's how I run my TSM jobs, via an unprivileged UNIX user called
'tapeadm' and it uses a privileged TSM user/pass so I can tell the
difference between human administrators and TSM jobs in the activity
logs. Works great.

-Dan