ADSM-L

Indentifying archived/backed up volume numbers?

2004-08-06 14:45:01
Subject: Indentifying archived/backed up volume numbers?
From: Chris Hund <CHund AT BENESIGHT DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 12:29:05 -0600
Hi all,

I have a question related to identifying the tape or volume number that a file
(or set of files) resides on.  If I had to, for example, restore a file from
08/01 called /home/test.file, I would identify the volume # that file is on by
doing the following:

>From the TSM command line:
tsm> rest "/home/test.file" -fromdate=08/01/2004 -todate=08/01/2004 -pick -ina

I'd pick my file from the list, and while Tivoli attempted to load the tape
that file is one, I'd do a "q req" from another telnet session to see which
tape # the machine was trying to load.

This process seems to work well some of the time, but occasionally I find
myself getting a message like:
ANS4035W File '/shared/UfsDump_20030723' currently unavailable on server
... and then the retrieve or restore gets "**Interrupted**" and you can't find
out which tape # the file is on.

I see this same thing whether I'm doing a retrieve or a restore.  So my
question, then:  is there a better way to identify the volume # a file, or set
of files, resides on?  It sure seems like Tivoli would have come up with a
better method than this.  I'm still a Tivoli newbie, so I haven't learned all
the tricks yet.  :)  I figured if there was a better way, someone on this list
would surely know.

Many thanks,
Chris Hund