ADSM-L

Re: archive attribute - windows 2000

2004-08-04 12:52:54
Subject: Re: archive attribute - windows 2000
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 10:52:31 -0600
Well, from the attached file, I saw the file was backed up only 5 or 6
times since May. I can't say *why* TSM has multiple backups of the file.
Some possible reasons include:

* incomplete -incrbydate backup. If you use -incrbydate, check the last
backup time for the file system
* selective backup
* mode setting of ABSOLUTE instead of MODIFIED in the copy group
* other non-obvious changes, such as security attributes or creation date
(use "dir /tc some.file.name" to see the creation date)

Have you tried testing backup of a single file, i.e.:

   dsmc incremental some.file.name

and then immediately repeating the "dsmc incremental" command? Does it
back the file up yet again? If so, you can try tracing the backup like
this:

   dsmc incremental some.file.name -traceflags=policy,fioattribs
-tracefile=dsmc.trc

This will show you policy info where you can check the copy group modes.
Below that, you will see TSM comparing the attributes of the file with
those currently on the TSM server. Go ahead and post the results and we'll
see what we can see.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

The command line is your friend.

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 08/04/2004
08:08:03: