ADSM-L

Re: Empty tapes not returning to scratch

2004-08-03 14:41:50
Subject: Re: Empty tapes not returning to scratch
From: fred johanson <fred AT MIDWAY.UCHICAGO DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 13:41:31 -0500
It works.  After the move with the "wherestatu=emp" the four offenders were
dropped from the stgpool.  Then I checked them in as scr.

Thanks to all who helped.

At 09:23 AM 8/3/2004 -0400, you wrote:
What I found is that if you issued the MOVE MEDIA command against a tape to
remove it form the library, then you need to issue the MOVE MEDIA command to
bring it back in. Even if it's empty and you put it back in the library.
Seems that something internal to the tape volume is set that isn't exposed
to any query that this volume is being managed by the MOVE MEDIA. Take to
volume back out of the library and it should go to MOUNTABLTNOTINLIB. Then
the below command from Bill will move EMPTY tapes (WHERESTATUS=EMPTY). I
don't remember if the volume goes scratch right then, or if it goes scratch
when you check it back in to the library. But I do remember that if you
process a tape with the MOVE MEDIA you need to keep using MOVE MEDIA until
you bring it back in to the library or it goes empty/scratch.

Bill Boyer
DSS, Inc.