ADSM-L

Re: System out of Memory error resoreing 170,000 files

2004-07-23 05:11:51
Subject: Re: System out of Memory error resoreing 170,000 files
From: "Warren, Matthew (Retail)" <Matthew.Warren AT POWERGEN.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 09:56:04 +0100
Yup, we have

fsize = -1
    cpu = -1
    data = -1
    rss = -1
    stack = -1
    nofiles = -1

for root, ulimit -a gives;

time(seconds)        unlimited
file(blocks)         unlimited
data(kbytes)         unlimited
stack(kbytes)        unlimited
memory(kbytes)       unlimited
coredump(blocks)     2097151
nofiles(descriptors) unlimited

..I have not yet had an opportunity to umount/mount the filesystem (APAR
IY13763); I'll post here if it works or not when I do.

I am also hoping to run the restore to failure, then try restoring a
file using 'syscalls' (or equivalent to truss / tusc) see if that gives
any clues.

Matt.

Which ulimits are you talking about?  Are -all- of them unlimited?

Specifically, have you uncapped -all- of

- memory size
- data segment size
- stack size
- VM size

?  I often find I've uncapped only some of those.

I've also had some problems where I had to reset root's limits, and then
re-log-in, to make those limits effective.  This is especially the case
if you
(for example) are in the habit of running some other shell after you log
in.
We favor BASH..

- Allen S. Rout

This message and any attachments are confidential and should only be read by
those to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please
contact us, delete the message from your computer and destroy any copies. Any
distribution or copying without our prior permission is prohibited.

Internet communications are not always secure and therefore Powergen Retail
Limited does not accept legal responsibility for this message. The recipient is
responsible for verifying its authenticity before acting on the contents. Any
views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not
necessarily represent those of Powergen Retail Limited.

Registered addresses:

Powergen Retail Limited, Westwood Way, Westwood Business Park, Coventry, CV4
8LG.
Registered in England and Wales No: 3407430

Telephone +44 (0) 2476 42 4000
Fax +44 (0) 2476 42 5432