ADSM-L

Re: storage pool raid 1?

2004-07-22 11:56:47
Subject: Re: storage pool raid 1?
From: asr AT UFL DOT EDU
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 11:56:24 -0400
==> In article <OFA4B1F231.F5B53702-ON88256ED8.0075707F-88256ED8.0075A85F AT
regence DOT com>, Robert Clark <raclark AT REGENCE DOT COM> writes:

> It would be nice to see some storage pool volume sizing reccomendations that
> don't assume everyone is on 9GB SSA JBOD.

Hmm.  Well, my storage is not on 9GB SSA JBOD, so whatever recommendations
I've made you can count as 'nice'.

But I don't think that your disk technology would have a huge impact on your
stgpool volume sizing.  I know my volume-size calculations are dominated by
management convenience issues.

For most backup traffic, write patterns are sufficiently chaotic that you are
more concerned with total bandwidth than some sense of streaming speed, which
is where (in my unhumble opinion) the underlying disk allocation gets really
interesting.

> Seeing TSM become SFS and SVC aware would be nice as well.

Would you mind expanding the acronyms?  I'd like to join the Elect.  A google
on them is not particularly conclusive.  Self-certifying filesystem?

- Allen S. Rout