ADSM-L

Re: TSM & GroupWise

2004-07-21 11:24:50
Subject: Re: TSM & GroupWise
From: Troy Frank <Troy.Frank AT UWMF.WISC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 10:23:12 -0500
One thing I forgot to warn you about regarding groupwise restores.
They're just about the worst possible scenario as far as slow restores
go.  Tons of small files, with high change rates (our PO's average about
25-33% turnover a day).  So once you've been backing up for a couple
months, your PO's get spread out over lots of tapes, which equals slow
restores.  There are ways to get around this if you've got tapes &
library slots to burn, but I thought I'd mention it.

Troy Frank
Network Services
University of Wisconsin Medical Foundation
608.829.5384

>>> Timothy.Hughes AT OIT.STATE.NJ DOT US 7/21/2004 10:07:47 AM >>>
Hello All,

Anyone backing up Groupwise post office using TSM? From what I
have heard the backups aren't necessarily good as it does not handle
open GroupWise files?

Also, I understand There are several ways to do Snapshot Backup?
of a client is one way more effective than another?

TSM client 5.2.2
GroupWise 6.0
TSM version 5.2.1.3 Aix 5.2

Thanks for any help/advice in Advance!

Confidentiality Notice follows:

The information in this message (and the documents attached to it, if any)
is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for
the addressee. Access to this message by anyone else is unauthorized. If
you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution
or any action taken, or omitted to be taken in reliance on it is
prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this message in
error, please delete all electronic copies of this message (and the
documents attached to it, if any), destroy any hard copies you may have
created and notify me immediately by replying to this email. Thank you.