ADSM-L

Re: storage pool raid 1?

2004-07-21 09:46:23
Subject: Re: storage pool raid 1?
From: "Baughman, Ray A." <rbaughman AT NATIONALMACHINERY DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 09:45:33 -0400
-----Original Message-----
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU]On Behalf Of
Stapleton, Mark
Sent: Wednesday, July 21, 2004 9:40 AM
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On
Behalf Of Daniel Sparrman

In my experience, I see almost no case for fault tolerance in TSM-based
disk systems that normally perform a daily migration to a tape-based
primary storage pool. If a system crashing prior to migration worries
you, perform your migration as early in the day as you can after clients
finish running their backups to a cached disk pool.

What would be wrong with running migration during the backup process?  I have
client backups running around the clock and I also run migration around the
clock. I have a lot fewer disk drive than storage pools, so I have a process
that runs migration on one disk pool at a time.  I've had no issues with
performance, but I was wondering if I've overlooked any other got-you's

Ray Baughman