ADSM-L

Re: Thoughts on Monthly Archives

2004-07-20 11:38:11
Subject: Re: Thoughts on Monthly Archives
From: Shannon Bach <SBach AT MGE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 10:37:07 -0500

Thanks, Andy!

 As always, you open up the window of thought and different perspectives.

Shannon Bach
Operations Analyst
IMS Data Center Services
Madison Gas & Electric Co.

Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>

07/19/2004 12:45 PM

        To:        ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
        cc:

> For us, it is the beginning of the Sarbanes-Oxley overhaul.  I ask those
same
> questions to people all over my company and their response?
>
> Well you (me) had better make sure that the data moves with whatever new

> Technology comes in!

My personal (not necessarily that of IBM's) opinion: this is a flippant
response to a valid concern, unless your responsibilities cover this area
as well.

>From a TSM administrative perspective, it is the TSM administrator's
responsibility to ensure that data backed up by TSM can be restored to the
same state it was in at the time it was backed up, plus other duties
related to the backup and management of the data, as assigned.

Being able to convert from one external data format to another is not a
function of TSM, and thus is not naturally a part of administering TSM. In
general I would say that resolving the issues related to long-term archive
of data belong to the owners of the data and the people who administer
that data. After all, they are the experts on that data and are therefore
the best resources for addressing these issues. Of course, in the process
of planning for the archives, the TSM administrator can raise these issues
(as you have apparently done) and contribute to the solution; but I
wouldn't put the sole responsibility on the TSM administrator. Nor was it
my intent to suggest that these were TSM issues per se when I raised them.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

The command line is your friend.

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 07/19/2004
10:09:16:

> For us, it is the beginning of the Sarbanes-Oxley overhaul.  I ask those
same
> questions to people all over my company and their response?
>
> Well you (me) had better make sure that the data moves with whatever new

> Technoloogy comes in!
>
> They don't care if we have the software capable of reading this data
again.
> They just want to be in compliance with Sarbanes-Oxley.  And it is
starting
> to look to me that  Sarbanes-Oxley believes in keeping everything,
forever.

> Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
> 07/19/2004 11:25 AM
> Please respond to "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager"
>

>         To:        ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
>         cc:
>         Subject:        Re: Thoughts on Monthly Archives
>

> Some considerations for long-term archive:
>
> - Much of today's data, as it is used from day to day, exists in some
> product-specific format. If you were to retrieve that data, say, 10
years
> from now, would you have software capable of reading that data?
>
> - Even if you archive the software, will operating systems 10 years from
> now be able to run that software?
>
> - Even if you archive the operating system installation files, will the
> hardware 10 years from now be able to install and run that operating
> system?
>

> - There is a good case to consider carefully what gets archived and how
> you archive it.For instance, maybe for database data, it would make
sense
> to export that data to some common format, such as tab- or
comma-delimited
> records, which is very likely to be importable by most software.
Likewise,