ADSM-L

Re: Thoughts on Monthly Archives

2004-07-16 14:47:19
Subject: Re: Thoughts on Monthly Archives
From: Robert Clark <raclark AT REGENCE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 11:46:53 -0700

If you keep the tapes "outside the system",  what do you do when there is
an opportunity to change tape technology in 5 years?

How do you migrate that data to new tapes?

[RC]

                      "Dwight Cook"
                      <cookde AT US.IBM DOT COM>         To:    ADSM-L AT
VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                      Sent by: "ADSM: Dist       cc:
                      Stor Manager"              Subject:      Re: Thoughts on
Monthly Archives
                      <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

                      07/15/2004 05:22 PM
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

                      |-------------------|
                      | [ ] Secure E-mail |
                      |-------------------|

Sure...
started a long time ago when directories were bound to the longest
retention management class that existed...
with a 10 year archive management class defined, I was keeping a lot of
stuff WAY to long :-(
made me realize I might not want such management classes existing in the
environment
Remember, with exports, well really with the imports, you can use relative
dates so you don't even  need a long term management class to keep it a
long time.
Also, when the user show up at your office and says... "remember the set of
archives done right before that big merger?  make those 10 year retention
rather than 7"   This way, all you have to do is adjust the spread sheet
you track the exported tapes in and you only impact the items you really
want to alter.

and this points out a wonderful thing about TSM... lots and lots of
different ways to get the same thing done, very flexible to meet the needs
of just about any situation

Dwight E. Cook
Systems Management Integration Professional, Advanced
Integrated Storage Management
TSM Administration
(918) 925-8045

             Mike Bantz
             <mbantz AT RSINC DOT COM
             Sent by: "ADSM:           ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
             Dist Stor                                                  cc
             Manager"
             <[email protected]                                     Subject
             .EDU>                     Re: Thoughts on Monthly Archives

             07/15/2004 05:43
             PM

             Please respond to
             "ADSM: Dist Stor
                 Manager"

>>personally I don't like to keep any archived data in an active TSM server
environment that has a retention value of more than 370 days

Can I ask why? This seems like an **awfully** short time...

 - mike

(Embedded image moved to file: pic14137.gif)(Embedded image moved to file:
pic26055.gif)(Embedded image moved to file: pic00161.gif)

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This communication, including any attachment, contains
information that may be confidential or privileged, and is intended solely for
the entity or individual to whom it is addressed.  If you are not the intended
recipient, you should delete this message and are hereby notified that any
disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message is strictly prohibited.
Nothing in this email, including any attachment, is intended to be a legally
binding signature.