ADSM-L

Re: Thoughts on Monthly Archives

2004-07-16 12:44:15
Subject: Re: Thoughts on Monthly Archives
From: Mike Bantz <mbantz AT RSINC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 10:46:48 -0600
In talking with a whole ton of people about this, this is the tentative
idea:

This is for document retention, so the recovery of a whole server isn't a
requirement. If I can get back a MSSQL database file, I can restore it
anywhere. Same goes for a .doc or .xls file - I don't need the whole server.

So my plan is to create a storage pool, call it "ARCHIVE_STGPOOL" or
something.

Load a bunch of scratch tapes in the 3583, run my monthly archives to that
stgpool. When they're done, check them out, mark them offsite, etc. But we'd
run incrementals, not monthly fulls, to keep down the db and tape usage.

We're a fairly small shop (now) and only use around 3 tapes a day.

I *love* that TSM is so flexible and I hate that I get to agonize and debate
any changes to it for that very reason. We've been bitten really hard in the
past due to poor planning, so I'm trying to plan for my next 4-7 years now.
:-)