ADSM-L

Re: Thoughts on Monthly Archives

2004-07-16 11:28:26
Subject: Re: Thoughts on Monthly Archives
From: Tammy Schellenberg <TSchellenberg AT PROSPERACREDITUNION DOT CA>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 08:26:47 -0700
Mike you don't have to move your database to enlarge it.  if you add disk
space you can create new volumes and then you just extend the database over
these new volumes to gain the extra space that you need.

Ie: in our case we had to increase our database from 10 GB to 20 GB so this
is what we did.
  Database Volumes

 Volume Name (Copy 1) Volume Name (Copy 2) Volume Name (Copy 3)
  E:\DB1.DSM  F:\DB1.DSM
  E:\DB2.DSM  F:\DB2.DSM

Hope this helps your comfort zone a bit.  Also with our system because we
are a banking system we have to do monthly archives and retain them for 7
years by law, so we have a separate policy for archive pools and we move
these out when they are full to a shelf in our server room.  This is working
well for us as it does not take up all the slots in the library with
archived tapes.  The only downside to this is when you do a retrieve you
have to watch for TSM asking for specific tapes to be put in from the shelf
and then make sure to move them back out again after the retrieve process.
A bit more work but it's not been bad.

Tammy Schellenberg
Systems Administrator, MCP
Prospera Credit Union
email: tschellenberg AT prosperacreditunion DOT ca
DID: 604-864-6578