ADSM-L

Re: Journaling on AIX Client?

2004-07-16 05:38:20
Subject: Re: Journaling on AIX Client?
From: Remco Post <r.post AT SARA DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 11:38:03 +0200
On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 07:18:33 -0500
"Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM> wrote:

> From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager on behalf of Sam Rudland
> >I have a 5.2 client installed n AIX and it takes several hours each
> night which it checks a few hundred thousand files. I have used
> journaling on some of my Windows clients and was hoping a similar
> facility would be available to me in AIX but after having a look
> around I had no joy.
> =============
>
> "There is no joy in Muddville."
>
> There is not a journaling service for any TSM client save Windows. You
> might consider the use of multiple nodenames for the troublesome
> client, each nodename backing up its own portion of the machine. That
> would (partially) alleviate the problem, and would speed up complete
> machine rebuilds as well.

I disagree... usually scanning for changed files takes long because the
disk is busy, either just for scanning or from other tasks as well.
Using more client instances on that one disk(-array) would just make
the disk more busy.

You could try upping the resourceutilasation of the client and the
maxnummp, this might help a bit, recent AIX clients actually do
multi-session backups and restores, but if the disk is the bottleneck,
it doesn't help.

If your server is a bottleneck, you might tnink about
incremental-by-date backups, but I'd recommend faster disk (or more) for
the database and log....

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,

Remco Post

SARA - Reken- en Netwerkdiensten                      http://www.sara.nl
High Performance Computing  Tel. +31 20 592 3000    Fax. +31 20 668 3167

"I really didn't foresee the Internet. But then, neither did the
computer industry. Not that that tells us very much of course - the
computer industry didn't even foresee that the century was going to
end." -- Douglas Adams