ADSM-L

Thoughts on Monthly Archives

2004-07-15 16:58:03
Subject: Thoughts on Monthly Archives
From: Mike Bantz <mbantz AT RSINC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 15:00:40 -0600
We are implementing the following:

Monthly FULL backups, saved for 4 years for document retention purposes.

Backupsets are not viable, as a restore would be a pain. So it looks like
we're going to do this with archives. My idea is to create another storage
pool with it's own media, another domain with it's own management class (we
really need only one: save 1 version of this file for 4 years), and remove
that media once the archive runs.

Anyone care to comment on if this is the best, easiest, way to do this? Or
comment on what to expect with things like tape usage and database size?
We're currently at 57% of a 12gig database.

Thanks in advance!!!

Mike Bantz
Systems Administrator