ADSM-L

Generating backupsets of TDPO files to take offsite

2004-07-15 12:44:40
Subject: Generating backupsets of TDPO files to take offsite
From: "Andreas Almroth [Head Office - IS Consultant]" <Almrot_A AT MTNCAMEROON DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 17:28:23 +0100
Hi all,

We are about to implement TDP for Oracle on one of our databases, and
I'm now trying to plan the best configuration for this.

One question that came up was how we efficiently generate a backupset to
a tape volume to be stored offsite.

My understanding is that TDPO backs up the data to the named file space
in tdpo.opt, and that when generating a backupset the whole active file
space will then be copied to the destination volume/s. But as all files
are unique, all RMAN backups that have not been expired still exist as
active.

My idea was once a month to create a backupset of a cold backup, and
store it offsite, but now I would end up with all RMAN files on that
volume.

To my knowledge there is no way of limiting which files that is copied
to the backupset within a file space.

One idea that came to mind was to use two tdpo.opt files with different
file spaces. This way I could once a month run a cold backup that goes
to an alternative file space, and then I generate a backupset from this.
I would then have a RMAN script that expire the old backups and hence I
would only have the files that I really want to take offsite.

So here is when I turn to you here, because I wonder if this can be
implemented as I described, or is there another better way?

Best regards,

Andreas Almroth

Senior System Analyst

Technology Group - O&M