ADSM-L

Re: How to setup GUI to access NDMP TOC for DAR?

2004-07-15 01:21:58
Subject: Re: How to setup GUI to access NDMP TOC for DAR?
From: Muhammad Sadat <sadat AT INFOTECH.COM DOT PK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 10:23:41 +0500
Too much informative !

By the way: in the same discussion thread can we discuss my scenario which
is going to be under implementation soon?

1- How would I configure TSM server to put its Primary and copy storage
pools on NetApp NAS? There is no Tape library in the project.

What I did was that I created a map using iSCSI Initiator on Windows 2k and
then used this added hard disk of NAS to keep my database, logs and primary
storage pool.

What I am thinking is:
that can we configure TSM directly to keep its data on NAS directly instead
of adding a NAS volume on my win2k TSM Server Operating system and then use
it?

Also can you please elaborate a little on DataMover?

Best Wishes !
Sadi
_

             TSM_User
             <[email protected]
             Sent by: "ADSM:
             Dist Stor                 ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
             Manager"                                                   cc
             <[email protected]
             .EDU>

             07/15/2004 04:03
                                       Re: How to setup GUI to access NDMP
                                       TOC for DAR?
             Please respond to
             "ADSM: Dist Stor
                 Manager"
             <[email protected]
                   .EDU>

We just tested this today.

The TSM Client Manual for Windows has more details but we did the
following:

In the dsm.opt file we added:
nasnodename = NetAppName (Celrra Name in your case)
domain.nas = all-nas
include.nas.fs MgmtClassName

>From there you need to stop and start the client acceptor service.  When
you connect to the web client http://servername:1581 you will now see your
regular node name and your NAS node name.  Under the NAS node you can click
down through its file system.

A note, we use the DIRMC option in our dsm.opt files.  We registered our
NAS node and our regular client in 2 different policy domains.  Well, the
web client kept failing with a protocol error.  We looked at the
dsmerror.log and it kept saying that we had an invalid mgmt class with the
DIRMC option.  When we connect with the dsmc command line and we didn't
reciever any errors.  When we issued the command q filespace -class=nas we
then saw that the error was occuring when reading the NAS data.  So we
created the mgmtclass in the NAS domain and everything worked from there
on.  This was odd of course because I don't think the NAS backup needs the
DIRMC but that was what we found.  Everything we did was with a V5.2.3
server on Windows 2000 and the V5.2.3 client on that same windows 2000
server.

Also, when you want to restore a file to an alternate location you can only
choose a different volume.  We wanted to restore /vol/data/user1/test.txt
to /vol/data/restore.  There was no option to pick a different folder only
a different volume on the NetApp.

We ran one test to see what would happen if you tried to restore from
something that you didn't create a TOC for.  You see the filespace but when
you click on it it doesn't have anything below it.  That is what you would
expect I guess but just note that you will still see the filespace.

For production we are going to backup the server using TSM server admin
schedules.  We realize that you can backup data from a dsmc command.  We
are going to test that tomorrow but at this time it doesn't look like we
are going to use that.

Our current backups are going to an IBM 3583 with LTO1 drives directly
connected via LVD SCSI to the NetApp.  We were able to spin both drives
around 50 GB/hr each.  We are going to test a backup to Fibre 9840 soon
using an ACSLS library definition which we hope to get better throughput
on.

Robert Clark <raclark AT REGENCE DOT COM> wrote:
I've been testing NDMP backups using the datamover of an EMC Celerra
writing to a SAN attached 3494.

I needed to read between the lines in the docs a bit to figure out to set
it up, but its working.

But I don't see any info on how to setup a W2K B-A GUI so that it will read
the TOC(table of contents) and allow for DAR(direct access restore) of the
Celerra. (This seems to be how it needs to work, based on reading the
current "TSM Admin Guide (for AIX)".)

Do I need the "NAS" portion of the B-A client installed, even though the
system I have the W2K GUI on doesn't have access to the NAS portion of the
Celerra?

I've added a "nasnode" line to the dsm.opt, but the client still doesn't
show an entry for the Celerra in the GUI.

Any hints or pointers to pertinent docs appreciated.

Thanks, [RC]

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This communication, including any attachment, contains
information that may be confidential or privileged, and is intended solely
for the entity or individual to whom it is addressed. If you are not the
intended recipient, you should delete this message and are hereby notified
that any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message is strictly
prohibited. Nothing in this email, including any attachment, is intended to
be a legally binding signature.