ADSM-L

Client Option Sets vs. Option Files

2004-07-13 16:46:39
Subject: Client Option Sets vs. Option Files
From: Rob Hefty <R.Hefty AT LABSAFETY DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 15:45:07 -0500
Hello all,

We are debating switching our TSM environment from the use of option
files to client option sets and a few questions have been raised:

1) Can we use just one large option set that encompasses all possible
excludes and includes (since our includes are usually directory
specific)?
        a) If so, does that slow down backups being a larger option set
file?
        b) Does the server read it each time for each client that logs
on?
        c) Is it a problem if multiple servers log on at the same time?

2) Can we use both option sets and option files, where we can have the
specifics added to the option file and the generic in the option set?

Server version: 5.1.6.5
Server OS:      AIX 5.1
Clients:                Win 200x, Win NT, AIX 4.3.3 and AIX 5.x

Regards,
Rob