ADSM-L

Re: Priorities

2004-07-13 00:43:30
Subject: Re: Priorities
From: Fred Johanson <fred AT MIDWAY.UCHICAGO DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 23:43:16 -0500
Actually, the lowest priority on the list is, unfortunately, the most important
is dealing with the "need a tape" situation: "checki libv...stat=scr".  There's
nothing like the call from operations in the early hours of Sunday that you're
dead from lack of scratch, because somebody in a building far from yours has
attached a storage array in the 1-2 Tb range to a registered client before he
left on Friday afternoon.  Even after a "dsmserv extend log...", there's still
a scramble to get the empty volumes the operator found stashed in the corner
actually made usable in the library.  Such a recent Sunday for me ran to 17
hours, so, if I were King of the Forest, "checki libv..." would have the
highest priority of all.

Quoting Paul Ripke <stix AT STIX.HOMEUNIX DOT NET>:

> On Friday, Jul 9, 2004, at 17:09 Australia/Sydney, Yiannakis Vakis
> wrote:
>
> > I know that space reclamation has priority over backups or restores.
> > Yiannakis
>
> No.
>
> In an Admin guide I have handy - look for "Preemption of Client or
> Server Operations" - the following are defined as high priority
> operations for mount point access:
>
> - Backup database
> - Restore
> - Retrieve
> - HSM recall
> - Export
> - Import
>
> Any of which will preempt, in decreasing order of priority:
> 1. Move data
> 2. Migration from disk to sequential media
> 3. Backup, archive, or HSM migration
> 4. Migration from sequential media to sequential media
> 5. Reclamation
>
> So the above statement is incorrect - reclamations have the lowest
> possible priority. See the manual for the details.
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Paul Ripke
> Unix/OpenVMS/TSM/DBA
> I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
> -- Douglas Adams

Fred Johanson