ADSM-L

Re: slow running windows 2000 client backup

2004-07-12 15:28:26
Subject: Re: slow running windows 2000 client backup
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 15:28:12 -0400
>Thanks for your quick response.  Unfortunately we reviewed everything
>that is running on the box and came up with nothing.  We also ran
>performance monitor all night and all we see (especially during the long
>waits) is that nothing is going on (memory, processing etc).  Once we
>start transmitting data, the stats start fluctuating and look normal (as
>it should when processes are running).  This has us totally stumped...

Hi, Ralph -

A good one you have there.  You are up to date on W2000 and sounds like you've
covered the basics in looksee.  The problem smells like a file system or disk
problem - perhaps the latter in that the manifestation seems to involve so
many files (severe fragmentation may contribute to it).  A DOS command which
runs through the file system reporting attributes may help reveal there things
are mired.  A commercial disk analyzer may be of help.  Personally, I would
pursue a TSM client trace.  The latest trace issuance info is in the 4.2 Trace
Facility manual.  I have notes on Client Tracing in ADSM QuickFacts.  You can
also take cues from info in IBM's web pages, such as in
Such a client trace should reveal where the time is being spent.
We'd be interested in what's found on this problem.

   thanks, Richard Sims