ADSM-L

Windows client passwords for multiple servers

2004-07-09 11:27:26
Subject: Windows client passwords for multiple servers
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 11:26:53 -0400
We are preparing to migrate our TSM server from OS/390 to mainframe
Linux. We are planning to run complete backups to the new server and
let data on the old server age off. Each of our Windows clients will
need two options files for a while (one for each server). In most
cases, the options file for the old server will be needed only for
restores of files that became inactive before the cut-over. However,
some of our clients are too big to do a complete backup in one day.
Each of these will need two scheduler services as well as two options
files. One service will be used to run the complete backup to the
new server in managable chunks, and the other will be used to continue
incremental backups to the old server.

The documentation for the Windows client code indicates that passwords
are stored in the registry. However, the documentation provides no
information about the registry keys used, and hence no information
about the conditions (if any) under which two independently maintained
passwords can be stored.

The procedure we have in mind for most Windows clients is as follows:
1.Use server to server export/import to copy the node name and password
  from old server to new server.
2.Copy dsm.opt to oldtsm.opt.
3.Update dsm.opt to address the new server.
4.Stop and start the scheduler service.

Eventually, one or both of the servers will negotiate a new password (we
always use 'passwordaccess generate'). Will scheduled backups to the new
server work after that? Will it still be possible to run manually
initiated restores from either server?

A few of the bigger clients will require an additional step:
5.Define a second scheduler service using oldtsm.opt.

This raises an additional question. Will scheduled backups to both
servers continue working after a password change?