ADSM-L

Re: 1501?

2004-07-08 19:45:03
Subject: Re: 1501?
From: Paul Ripke <stix AT STIX.HOMEUNIX DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 09:44:05 +1000
On Friday, Jul 9, 2004, at 00:09 Australia/Sydney, Warren, Matthew
(Retail) wrote:

''
Port numbers are not restricted to four digits, or to any specific
number.
The clients manual describes their specification.
''

Just to pick bones, 'cause this just confused someone here, port
numbers
can go from 0-65535, although I'm not sure if 0 is actually valid.

FYA (For Your Amusement):
I don't think port 0 is supposed to be valid, but I have seen it used,
UCX 3.x appeared to allow its use, and I tripped over a [badly
written] application using TCP port 0 running on and old VAX.
Needless to say, it broke after a UCX upgrade :)

Cheers,
--
Paul Ripke
Unix/OpenVMS/TSM/DBA