ADSM-L

Re: 1501?

2004-07-08 10:28:38
Subject: Re: 1501?
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 10:28:23 -0400
>Just to pick bones, 'cause this just confused someone here, port numbers
>can go from 0-65535, although I'm not sure if 0 is actually valid.

Indeed so.  Port numbers also have certain assigned meanings over the
Internet, though within the context of a customer computing environment
numbers above 1023 may particularly be used as needed.
See:  http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers
for defined port numbers.  (Note that ADSM/TSM does not formally
define any for itself in the world scope of things. Indeed, TSM's
customary port numbers, such as 1501, are internationally defined for
other purposes.  In unusual contexts, this may cause a non-TSM
application to attempt interact with a TSM server on a given port,
resulting in an interesting protocol mismatch.  Hopefully, such an
application would not keep trying.)

   Richard Sims