ADSM-L

Re: AF.Bitfiles errors - upgrade to 5.2.3 or talk to L2 first

2004-07-07 15:35:26
Subject: Re: AF.Bitfiles errors - upgrade to 5.2.3 or talk to L2 first
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 15:35:10 -0400
Andy,

Thanks for the, as usual, very helpful and detailed response.

I have looked through the README and found quite a few entries that
address problems/symptoms I have seen/encountered.

As for going to 5.2.3.0, one response that I got from one of your
co-workers, suggested as much to resolve an issue I encountered (of course
this was prior to my current errors, but could be a resulting symptom due
to the original problem).

*********************
Zoltan,

Please give either 5.2.2.5 or 5.2.3 a try. 5.2.2.5 is available now, and I
believe 5.2.3 is scheduled for early July.

The reclamation code is common, and APAR IC36348 is the sysroute of
PQ85357.  In other words, the APAR / bug-fix is not isolated to MVS.

Migration of your diskpool while offsite reclamation of a copypool is
running would create the same situation as described in the APAR.

Glen Hattrup
IBM - Tivoli Systems
Tivoli Storage Manager
**********************************

While none of the entries in the README directly/specifically address this
specific problem, I did see:  IC40616 |DELETE VOLUME DISCARDDATA=YES will
fail on a TSM 5.2.2.x server orphan bitfiles are exist.   which could be
close.

Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
07/07/2004 02:34 PM
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: AF.Bitfiles errors - upgrade to 5.2.3 or talk to L2 first

Zoltan, if I were in your position, here is what I would consider:

- Review the 5.2.3 README file to see what's been fixed since 5.2.1 I
might find it desirable to go to 5.2.3 regardless of the bitfile errors.

- If I do the upgrade, I would follow the installation instructions
provided. I believe that when going from 5.2.1 or below to 5.2.2 or
higher, an upgradedb is required; but if the TSM server is shut down
before performing the upgrade, the upgradedb will happen automatically
(but while I am not aware of any "gotchas" with going from 5.2.1 to 5.2.3,
the server is not my area of expertise).

- Without knowing why the problem occurs, I do not consider "upgrade to
the latest version" as an acceptable first response to a problem. The
exception would be if I am so far backleveled on the software, that
upgrading is just a good idea in general and with a bit of luck, maybe my
problem goes away. While there have been a lot of fixes since 5.2.1, I
would not consider this *that* far backleveled.

- Barring any other compelling reasons I might have for going to 5.2.3
regardless of this problem, I would contact support first. Without at
least some good reason to suspect 5.2.3 would fix the problem (and I'm not
aware of any), I'd want to know what the problem is first before doing the
upgrade. While the upgrade might be good idea anyway (see my first point
above), without knowing anything else, I'd want to report errors related
to database tables to see what service/development have to say before I do
something I might regret.

- Lastly, if it were me, the first time I saw the ANR9999D messages I
would have checked the current server README file for known and fixed
problems, the IBM web site and the ADSM-L archives for any existing
advice; and if I didn't find any hits, I'd have opened a problem with
Level 2 before posting ADSM-L. While I ADSM-L is an invaluable resource,
I'd want IBM's eyes on this kind of problem as soon as possible.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

The command line is your friend.

Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
07/07/2004 10:50
Please respond to
"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager"

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: AF.Bitfiles errors - upgrade to 5.2.3 or talk to L2 first

So, what is the concensus on what I should do about my situation on these
errors .......

Do I upgrade the AIX server from 5.2.1.3 to 5.2.3.0 (is this jump OK - do
I need an UPGRADEDB or is this automagical, now)

or do I first contact IBM L2 on the Bitfile errors I have been experiences
?

Your suggestions ......   Andy ?