ADSM-L

Re: Restore from node to another node

2004-07-07 12:22:20
Subject: Re: Restore from node to another node
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 10:21:59 -0600
Actually whenever you are talking about sharing of data, you should always
be careful about what is shared, regardless of the method chosen. But of
the three methods I described, it is method 1 that is the *least* risky.
Since methods 2 and 3 make all of the node's data available to the other
node, those are riskier. With Method 1, you can limit which files the
other node can access (down to the individual file name, if desired); you
can remove the access whenever you want; and you don't need to worry about
password handling. My opinion: for general user-to-user sharing of data,
Method 1 is the best choice. Method 2 is useful only if you know the
node's password or you have an admin ID with sufficient access - which for
the general user, should not be the case. And Method 3 should only be used
if the behaviors I have described are indeed desirable.

I can only point out the pros, cons, and pitfalls, but what works best for
you is what you should use.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

The command line is your friend.

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 07/07/2004
09:00:42:

> Hi,
>
> Andy, if one was has used SET PASSEXP and PASSWORDACCESS GENERATE, the
change
> the password is known would be limited. This will make both Method 2 and

> Method 3 not usable.
>
> Method 3 is a pain. One should not want to use that.
>
> Method 2 is work well, if you have an admin account on the ITSM server.
Then,
> in stead of finding the nodes password, you simply will use your admin
> account and password.
>
> Method 1 should be used with caution. It gives nodes access to each
other
> data. For workstations and in a small company it seems usable, in larger
set
> ups and set ups with mostly server type clients, I would recommend
Method 2.

> Just my thoughts on this subject.
>
> Regards,
>
> Karol

NODE1's
> files (equivalent function available via in the GUI via the
> "Utilities/Access Another Node..." menu item).
>
> Method 2: If you know NODE1's password, then NODE2 can start dsm or dsmc
> with the -VIRTUALNODENAME=NODE1 option to access NODE1's data.
>
> Method 3 (*** NOT RECOMMENDED ***): If you know NODE1's password, then
> NODE2 can start dsm or dsmc with the -NODENAME=NODE1 option to access
> NODE1's data. However, if NODE2 uses the PASSWORDACCESS GENERATE option,
> then this will cause NODE1's password to be encrypted and stored on
> NODE2's machine, allow future access to NODE1's data without requiring
the
> password. This is undesirable, so use Method 2 instead, which does not
> result in NODE1's password being stored on NODE2's machine.
>
> > Also Is it possible to restore a file on a Novell box to a Windows
Box?

> I'm not exactly sure what you are asking. If you are asking, "Can I use
> the NetWare client to back up NetWare files, then use the Windows client
> to restore those files?" then the answer is "No". You must use the
NetWare