ADSM-L

Re: Antwort: Restore from node to another node

2004-07-07 11:47:59
Subject: Re: Antwort: Restore from node to another node
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 09:44:31 -0600
I do not recommend putting NODE1's node name in NODE2's options file. If
PASSWORDACCESS GENERATE is being used (which is the likely case) then this
will cause NODE1's password to be encrypted on NODE2's machine. For
example, if you came over to my machine and put your node name in my
options file so we could restore one of your files to my machine, then
once you enter the password, it will be encrypted on my machine, allowing
me access to all your files whenever I want (or until the password is
changed externally). Not only that, but I could change your password and
thus deny you access to your own node data, at least until you can get the
TSM admin to straighten out the situation. So except in specific cases
where the behavior I describe is acceptable or desirable, I do not
recommend using the NODENAME method. Instead, either use SET ACCESS to
allow NODE2 to access NODE1's data, or else use -VIRTUALNODENAME=NODE1 if
you want to come over to my machine and enter the password. With
-VIRTUALNODENAME, the password will not be stored on my machine.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

The command line is your friend.

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 07/07/2004
08:31:57:

> You can change the DSM.OPT/SYS and specify the NODENAME of the server
you
> want to restore FROM. Or you can start the GUI with the
-VIRTUALNODENAME=