ADSM-L

Re: Restore from node to another node

2004-07-07 11:47:33
Subject: Re: Restore from node to another node
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 09:38:08 -0600
> Is it possible to restore a file from one Node to another Node
> using the GUI?

Yes. To allow NODE2 to restore files backed up by NODE1:

Method 1: On NODE1's machine, use the "dsmc set access" command
(equivalent function available in the GUI via the "Utilities/Node Access
List..." menu item) to allow NODE2 to access the desired files backed up
by NODE1. Then NODE2 and use the -FROMNODE=NODE1 option to access NODE1's
files (equivalent function available via in the GUI via the
"Utilities/Access Another Node..." menu item).

Method 2: If you know NODE1's password, then NODE2 can start dsm or dsmc
with the -VIRTUALNODENAME=NODE1 option to access NODE1's data.

Method 3 (*** NOT RECOMMENDED ***): If you know NODE1's password, then
NODE2 can start dsm or dsmc with the -NODENAME=NODE1 option to access
NODE1's data. However, if NODE2 uses the PASSWORDACCESS GENERATE option,
then this will cause NODE1's password to be encrypted and stored on
NODE2's machine, allow future access to NODE1's data without requiring the
password. This is undesirable, so use Method 2 instead, which does not
result in NODE1's password being stored on NODE2's machine.

> Also Is it possible to restore a file on a Novell box to a Windows Box?

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking. If you are asking, "Can I use
the NetWare client to back up NetWare files, then use the Windows client
to restore those files?" then the answer is "No". You must use the NetWare
client to restore files backed up by the NetWare client, and you must use
the Windows client to restore files backed up by the Windows client.
Likewise you can not use the Unix clients to restore data backed up by the
Windows or NetWare clients, and you can not use the NetWare or Windows
clients to restore files backed up by the Unix clients.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group