ADSM-L

Re: 3582 supported on TSM 5.2.2 AIX ?

2004-07-05 10:32:37
Subject: Re: 3582 supported on TSM 5.2.2 AIX ?
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 10:32:22 -0400
>the "From" is not applicable for all devices. Therefore, the question
>Sascha asked was asked for a reason. ...

Daniel - At the risk of belaboring this...

The original posting did not express a clear reason, and gave no indication that
the explanatory material above the table had been reviewed.  The impression was
left to the community in general that the table which IBM provides lacks
essential information - which in the future would incite others to post to the
List rather than refer to the vendor's authoritative information.  That kind of
impression would be unfair to IBM and result in a lot of wasted time -
particularly if a customer needed such information at a time when posting was
inactive and the customer believed that the mailing list was the only way to get
information.

This being a technical forum, it would be immensely helpful to everyone if
postings included indications from the author as to where she/he had already
looked for information, and was unable to find it, in addition to the details
of the problem.  We see too many vague and incomplete postings, which
demonstrably frustrates customer participants as well as the busy IBMers who
take time out to try to help.  It is particularly important to at least give
IBM the impression that the customer has made an attempt to review the info
which has cost IBM a lot of money and human resources to make available.
Customer input to mailing lists is obviously not definitive information, but
can certainly help out based upon real world experience; and that kind of
information flowback to IBM helps improve the product and its documentation.

It cannot be stressed enough that direct feedback to IBM is vital to helping
improve things for all of us - and, unfortunately, almost no customers take the
time to do that, which can leave lingering problems for others to run into.
To feed back on TSM web page issues, go to

http://www.ibm.com/software/sysmgmt/products/support/IBMTivoliStorageManager.html
and click on Feedback in the sidebar.
To feed back on TSM publications, use the web page provided in the manuals:
 http://www.ibm.com/software/tivoli/contact.html
(The operative expression here is, "Don't (just) grumble about missing
information - do something about it.")

So I would simply ask that those posting realize the magnitude of the mailing
list and appreciate the time of all those who are willing to help.  Having
enough information to eliminate false directions in the pursuit of rendering
assistance will help expedite resolution of problems and issues, and is in
everyone's best interest.

  thanks,  Richard Sims   ...just one of the 1600 people on the List.