ADSM-L

Re: list of files within tsm?

2004-07-01 13:52:55
Subject: Re: list of files within tsm?
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 13:52:43 -0400
>Is there anyway, without resorting to the slowness of
>a 'select ...' style query within dsmadmc, of getting
>a list of the files in TSM like the list of files you
>can get executing a 'query backup' within dsmc?

Only the client can get client-oriented information about server-stored files,
as the server is not programmed to interpret such information.
If you need only filenames, you can get them from a Select From Backups
(barring Unicode filename complications).

>I have a mixed environment and from my unix boxes I
>want a list of windows files that are in TSM. When
>trying to use dsmc from unix to refer to a windows
>node I get an error (and probably rightfully so).

A frequently asked question...
There is little probability of cross-platform queries working, because a file
system type in one OS is typically unknown to another OS, and so not programmed
into the TSM client.  Use another Windows box and the VIRTUALNodename option,
with other-Windows-client password, to do the lookup.

Ref: http://people.bu.edu/rbs/ADSM.QuickFacts
 "dsmc Query Backup across architectural platforms"
 "Restore across architectural platforms'

     Richard Sims