ADSM-L

Re: anyone have script for multi-session/multi-filespace restore?

2004-06-24 14:06:09
Subject: Re: anyone have script for multi-session/multi-filespace restore?
From: "MC Matt Cooper (2838)" <Matt.Cooper AT AMGREETINGS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 14:05:51 -0400
Well I have looked at everyones responses.  And I would like to thank
everyone who has responded.  I know it takes time and effert to do so.
        Fundimentally I don't think I can use collocation by Filespace.
I would be using 6x as many tapes for the task if I put the COPYPOOL
tapes like that.  It would also cost me at least 50% more for the local
tapepool.  But I think it was a popular suggestion because I did not
include enough detail in this e-mail.  I did so on the first e-mail and
then made a bad assumption... .  Anyway the Large system I need to
restore is an ORACLE DB that we do FULL BACKUP (cold) once a week and
then save the logs during the week.  I do not believe that this is the
best way to do things but spending $$ seems to be a no no.  Anyway I
need the RESTORE to work for a full system, (like DR), to provide
recovery for a local or DR site RESTORE or to populate a test system.
The part that makes this different is that there are no daily
incremental updates on any of these Filesystems.
        My solution:
        1) I do a     select node_name, volume_name, Filespace_name from
volume usage where node_name='MYNODE' and filespace_name like '/U0%' and
stgpool_name='TAPEPOOL'    this lists all tape volumes that have any of
the filespaces I need
        2) I use SAS to make a smaller file that contains the list of
UNIQUE tape volumes.  The program then creates the TSM commands to do
step 3.
        3)  select volume_name, last_write_date from volumes where
volume_name='thevolser'
        4)  here I do some sorting to merge all the data together,
through away all but the most recent tape used for every filespace and
then sort them again to have a list of tape volumes and every filespace
on them to do individual restores, knowing which file spaces to ask for
so all are listed on 1 tape.  (ps: the STK tape silo  tape system
allocates scratch tapes in a ascending volser order.  So a Filsystem on
2 tapes 'should' start on the tape with a numerically smaller volser
number)

I still think Tivoli/IBM should be able to do this internally.  This is
no more than a standard RESTORE NO QUERY that would ALLOW FOR A
WILDCARDED FILESPACE.

Thanks everyone.
Matt