ADSM-L

Re: Size of backed up file does not match size of restored file

2004-06-24 11:40:38
Subject: Re: Size of backed up file does not match size of restored file
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 09:39:22 -0600
If the file is of size A (1,272,979,456 bytes in your case) when the
backup starts, and in the middle of the backup, changes to size B (
1,278,222,336 bytes), then TSM only backs up size A bytes of the file.
Note that the output shows that size B bytes were backed up; that output
is wrong.

Upon restore, the file is of size A, not size B (i.e. the difference
between A and B is lost). But the data should still be good, up to size A.
Whether it is usable by the application is another matter. For instance,
if there are multiple files involved, some > 10 MB and others smaller
(files less than 10 MB are unaffected by this problem) then as a group,
the files may be out of sync with each other.

Without discounting this problem, I will add that you run this risk using
dynamic serialization even without this problem. Unless the truncation of
data is acceptable, I would strongly discourage the use of dynamic
serialization, shared or not.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

The command line is your friend.

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 06/24/2004
07:33:31:

> Thanks, Andy that sounds like it could be it!
>
> The APAR states:
>
> "If the TSM client inspection phase examines a file which changes
> shortly afer the inspection occurs, but before the actual data
> is sent to the TSM server, an improper file backup of the object
> will exist on the TSM server.  This can cause subsequent restore
> actions of the object to restore the improper file size of the
> object, which could prevent associated applications from using
> the data correctly."
>
> Is this saying that the restore is not actually restoring all of the
data?!!

This