ADSM-L

Re: Collocating and TDP for ORACLE

2004-06-22 21:37:00
Subject: Re: Collocating and TDP for ORACLE
From: TSM_User <tsm_user AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 18:36:40 -0700
Remember that many large oracle servers use most of a tape and at times many
tapes for a single database backup.  When this is the case there is little need
for collocation because there will be little if any tape contention for
restores.  Also when you recover from the primary pool you are less likely to
need to recovery many servers at once so even when possible tape contention
exists it isn't an issue.

Before I get blasted, I know you can never say you won't have a problem but
many times the the cost and drawbacks outway the benifits to collocating
database data or large file data.

Or you could backup your data to a noncollocated storage pool.  You could then
run a seperate server process that moves the data to a collocated storage pool
each morning or something like that.

Abdulaziz Almuammar <amuammar AT KFSHRC.EDU DOT SA> wrote:
Hi guys,
I have TSM server 5.1.5 with TDP 2.2.0 for ORACLE on AIX 5.1.5. I have 3494
tape library with 4 tape drives and I am using the collocating feature. the DBA
uses 4 channels on his script to do the backup
The problem is when I turn the collocating on , only one channel will do the
backup and the others will wait and when I turn it of all the 4 channels will
backup at the same time.
Can anyone tell my if there is a way to backup the DB with 4 channels and with
collocating on?

Regards,
Abdulaziz Almuammar